This podcast discusses all things involved with larger athletes and what considerations and factors are involved with being a cyclist. Darryl and Victor are joined by Chris Donnelly who began cycling at 6’2″, 400+ pounds and continues today at around 300 pounds.
Chris is a great guy with a lot of information and motivation to share. Listen in and hear about his experience doing an Ironman last year.
The discussion includes great insight into how a person in this situation can perform best as a cyclist and provides motivation to those who are intimidated by getting started.
The terms Clydesdale and Athena are used in the classification for athletes with men (Clydesdale) falling into this category when they are over 6 feet and 200 pounds, and women (Athena) over 145 pounds.
Tune in to this edition of the Cycling 360 Podcast for information on:
- Is there a TOO big to ride?
- What are the equipment requirements for bigger cyclists?
- What clothing is recommended?
- Why you should wear spandex/lycra even if you’re not comfortable with the idea
- Nutrition on the bike. How fuel properly due to burning more
- How to get started?
- Finding people to ride with
- Hill climbing pointers for bigger cyclists